11 July 2017 - 05 November 2017
The Artist/Knight is an exhibition with and about artists imbued with the spirit of chivalry and who bring the knight to life in countless incarnations, ranging from gentle irony to unbounded passion.
Curator Joanna De Vos has been on a quest and has created an international exhibition for Gaasbeek Castle of artists who feel themselves to be the heirs of the fiercely passionate company of knights. The works of art lead you into an imaginary world that evokes the mind and soul of the knight, with themes such as the self-portrait of the artist as a knight, the accoutrements and character, the fighting, the game of chess and jousting tournaments, the ardent search for authenticity, the self-denial and strength of will that adorn the heraldic shield (or ‘blazon’).
A number of works by artists from the first half of the twentieth century give a historic context to the whole.
The Artist/Knight pays homage to the knight as a figure of style, a poetic icon who gallops through our imagination. A quest to find our better self. An encounter with the incorruptible hero we would all like to be.
With works by Marina Abramovic, Uldus Bakhtiozina, Horia Damian, Robert Devriendt, Davide Dormino, Tracey Emin, Jan Fabre, Laurent Grasso, Phil Griffin, Damien Hirst, Oda Jaune, Kubra Khademi, Meiro Koizumi, Barbara Kruger, Pere Llobera, Kris Martin, Jonathan Meese, Fabien Mérelle, Benjamin Moravec, Eleni Mylonas, Luigi Ontani, Antonis Pittas, Quiet Ensemble, Gabriel Roca, Rob Scholte, Adeela Suleman, Hannelore Van Dijck, Hans Van Houwelingen, Marko Velk, Antonello Viola, voorforvaast fanclub, Andy Wauman and Yoko Ono.
- From Tuesday 11 July to Sunday 5 November 2017
- Click here for the opening times.
- Click here for the ticket prices.
- Click here for guided tours.
- Purchase of the catalogue ‘The Artist/Knight’ in our museumshop, entitles you to a reduction on the price of your admission ticket (for one person). Hannibal Publishing has produced the catalogue 'The Artist/Knight' (Dutch and English versions), containing a preface by Luc Vanackere, essays by curator Joanna De Vos, Larry List and Melania Rossi, and a description of the exhibited artworks. The book (ISBN 978 949267 708 2) costs € 24.50 and, as of 11 July, is available for purchase in our museum shop, online at www.uitgeverijkannibaal.be and from all good bookshops.
- Read here the article 'Court in the act. The Artist/Knight' in Flanders Today from 27 July, 2017 (Daan Bauwens).
- Andy Wauman, Knight Chest, print on silk, 100 x 100 cm, unique 1/1, courtesy of Deweer Gallery
- Tracey Emin, Chess Set, 2008, bronze, fabric, cotton thread, cord, ink, etched Corian and Hallmarked silver brooch, wood and glass display case, edition 7 + 2 AP’s, king: 5 cm, pawn: 2 cm, board: 45 x 45 cm, carrying case for pieces: 45 x 45 cm, bag: 22 x 24 x 15 cm, display case: 88 x 91.5 x 52 cm, courtesy of RS&A Ltd., London
- Eleni Mylonas, The General, 2014, photographic digital print, framed, 145 x 198 cm, © Eleni Mylonas 2014
- Jan Fabre, Lancelot, 2004, video still image, 16 mm film, 8'17", © Angelos bvba/ Jan Fabre
- Fabien Mérelle, Chevalier, 2015, ink and watercolour on paper, 42 x 30 cm, courtesy of Edouard Malingue gallery